Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Weary Metaphors

"Amid a national Republican wave that also washed through conservative Texas"
"Blunt rides Republican wave to victory"
"Toomey at Helm of a Republican Wave"
"Minority candidates ride Republican wave"

And that, my friends, is only a sampling. No doubt the Republican party hopes this election represents a sea-change in American politics, but do we really have to see so many tired references to the sea? Waves upon waves upon waves, crashing onto the shore. It would be one thing if this were the particular phrase picked up by a single news outlet, but this phrase is pervasive. Will history remember this moment as the Republican wave? Or tide? Or, God save us, tsunami? I'd just like to see more variety with our metaphors, because if I have to hear about any more waves, I'm going to need a Dramamine.

1 comment:

  1. Multiple news straws drinking out of the same glass shows me 5 students plagiarizing badly instead of 5 men describing the same elephant.

    Blind man #1 feels the trunk.
    BM#1 says, "It's a vertical snake!"
    BM#2 declares, "A snake that goes up and down! Amazing!"
    BM#3 asks, "Is the snake going up or down?"
    BM#1 replies, "I'm not sticking my hand on a snake again!"
    BM#3 says, "Well, I'm not getting bitten today."
    BM#4 chimes in, "What if we throw it a mouse first?"
    BM#5 offers, "With a smell like that, it must be a dead snake. Let's get out of here."

    ReplyDelete